Friday, October 3, 2014

Sugar Artist Spotlight: Candace Chand!


Hot off the big reveal of one of the most beautiful cake collaborations of the year, Candace Chand from Beau Petit Cupcakes is here to give us a little insight into the woman behind the cake!

I had the pleasure of working with Candace on one of her biggest projects of the year: The Festival of Lights: Cake Collaboration. It was her vision to bring together a collection of cakes made by cake artists around the world that are inspired by The Festival of Lights, a religious and cultural festival celebrated by Hindus. Just two days ago it was released to the world and it has received much attention and praise. You can learn more about the collaboration in Cake Masters (Oct Issue) and view all of the cakes at Cake Geek Magazinehttp://cakegeek.co.uk/index.php/festival-of-lights-collaboration-cakes/

Candace and her work has also recently been featured in American Cake Decorating Magazine (Sept/Oct 2014 issue)!

Introducing Candace Chand…………


Name: Candace Chand
Business Name: Beau Petit Cupcakes
Location: Delta, British Columbia, Canada
Website: www.beaupetitcupcakes.com
Instagram: #beaupetitcupcakes

***Tell us a bit about yourself. ***
I was born and raised on the beautiful Islands of Fiji. I moved to Canada in 2001 and started a family. I’m a wife and a momma to two handsome boys. I am a graduate of Business Management and work full time in the corporate world. I love crafting, reading books and traveling. By my cakes are my main hobby now.


***Tell us about your cake business ***
I’ve been baking ever since my teen days (which by the way was only ten years ago), and had always done minimal decorating. Yes that means whipped cream and fresh berries. Two years ago, I was asked by a friend to make cupcakes with caterpillar toppers and I discovered fondant and gumpaste. Hence the start of Beau Petit Cupcakes!

***Where did you learn the art of cake decorating? ***
I learned and am continuing to learn through online schools such as Craftsy and Paul Bradford’s Sugarcraft School. I have also taken hands on classes at various cake shows and events in Vancouver, Montreal, Utah and San Francisco.

***Do you have a signature style?***
My cake friends tell me they are able to recognize my cakes without seeing my watermark but I think I am still trying to find myself with my cake designs. Although I definitely love simple and elegant and ruffles, pearls, bling and flowers call my name.



***What inspires you?***
I love working with inspiration and really believe inspiration can come from anywhere – clothing, nature, magazines ….

***What is your favorite medium or technique to work with?***
For now fondant. This may change as I learn new things. And for technique for now I’d have to say ruffling with a ball tool. You can turn many shapes into different elegant ruffles.

***What is your favorite decorating tool?***
My clear scrapers from Janet O’Sullivan of The Cupcake Lady in Australia. Love them.


***What decorating tool is on your wishlist?***
Not an actual tool but I really really really want to own a designer Michael Aram cake stand – particularly from his Black Orchid line. (I have to make sure my husband reads this).

***What is the best class or tutorial that you have taken?***
Class with Lesley of Royal Bakery in San Francisco in January 2014. I learned to ganache. Yeah Baby! Prior to that I had never even made ganache. But after this class, the look of my cakes drastically changed. Thank you Lesley.

***What is your best tip or trick?***
Always cover your boards. Very important for that finishing touch that takes cakes to the next level. Whether you cover with fondant, edible paints or scrapbook paper, just do it.



***Who is your “Cake Crush”?***
Ryan Gosling – cake anywhere on him. Oh Wait – not that kind of cake crush? I see. Then I’d have to say…oh so many but those that make:

- Elegant Cakes like Faye Cahill of Faye Cahill Cake Design.
- Sugar Flowers like Jacqueline Butler of Petalsweet Cakes.
- Textured cakes like Myton Ouano of Antonio's kitchen

***What is your best advice for a beginner?***
It does not happen overnight. Take classes (even if they are online) and practice. Also don’t be afraid to try new things. You may not necessarily fail at a style or technique, but you may realize it’s just not your cup of tea.



***What is your favorite cake/filling flavors?***
- Peanut Butter Cake with Vanilla Bean SMB.
- Pumpkin Spice Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Icing.

***Do you have any fun projects coming up?***
2015 will be a busy year for me. I will be teaching at Cake Festin Louisiana, USA (www.cakefestla.com) and at the end of the year at Cake Crusade Ireland (Ireland's ULTIMATE caking event of 2015). I have also recently announced that I am now a Magazine Partner at DIY Weddings Magazine. I’m also working with Satin Ice on a few exciting projects! 




~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thank you Candace! It was a pleasure to get to know you better! ♥

No comments:

Post a Comment