Monday, September 15, 2014

Sugar Artist Spotlight: Robin Apted!



Another one of my longtime favorite decorators is Robin Apted! Her cakes have always floored me with their clean, perfect lines and amazing realism! You will be in awe too.....

Introducing.... Robin Apted!

Business Name: Unusual cakes for you
Location: Tasmania Australia
Facebook name/URL: https://www.facebook.com/UnusualCakesForYou
Twitter: https://twitter.com/Unusual_cakes


Instagram: http://instagram.com/unusualcakesforyou




***Tell us about yourself***
I have been with my husband for 24 years.
I always lie about my age
Have 2 sons aged 21 and 22, a daughter aged 7.
2 beautiful daughter in laws and my little grandson is 3.

I am an internet taught cake decorator and have never taken any formal classes.

I used to love sewing but these days the sewing machine is very dusty and doesn’t get a second look
I always take a few months off making cakes for customers each year to allow time for myself to make what I want in sugar and just relax and experiment.
My passion is sugar flowers and birds. I am impatiently waiting for some spare time now to make a few birds and flowers for fun. 




***When did you start decorating?***
I have always made cakes for my kids, although up until 2 years ago they were only the basic cakes that were in woman’s weekly cake books 
2 years ago in August I made my daughters Ariel cake and from there It started, I started my Facebook page and never looked back. (Definitely don’t look back hahhahaha its too embarrassing )

***Where did you learn cake decorating?***
Google and YouTube and along the way I have been fortunate to make friends with some amazing talented decorators that are generous with their help and knowledge

***Do you have a signature style?***
I would like to have one but no unfortunately I don’t think so, I guess I just try to stick to realism as much rather than fantasy




***What inspires you?***
Nature. Every day I see a flower or bird and think god I would love some spare time to try and make that in sugar.

***What is your favorite medium or technique to work with?***
Ganache I only ever use ganache and flowerpaste at the moment I use Menina flowerpaste. I love Platinum Paste but it’s just too expensive to have shipped to Australia

***What is your favorite decorating tool?***
Squires kitchen and Sugar Art studio cutters and veiners. I’m a little obsessed with them all

***What is the one decorating tool on your wishlist?***
Definitely more cutters and veiners from Sugar Art studio and a large dehydrator.




***Best class or tutorial that you have taken?***
I have taken a few Craftsy classes (www.craftsy.com

) and watched dozens of YouTube classes. But none really come to mind, generally I just try to watch a half dozen different YouTube ones and pick bits from each one that I think works best then have a play for myself

***What is your best tip or trick?***
Even if you think you have perfected your technique don’t close your mind to new ideas.

***Who is your “Cake Crush”? ***
Oh wow this is tough, really I don’t just have one. There are so many I admire and each one for a different reason. How can I pick one when there are so many different aspects of cake decorating?
Chistine from La lavande cake boutique for Flowers
Jacinta from Kidacity for jaw dropping figures
Lesley from Royal Bakery for flawless
Peggy from Peggy Does Cake for buttercream perfection
Calli from Callicious Cakes for painting
Faye from Faye Cahill Cake Design for elegance
You Loren because I’m your number one stalker remember 
See now I just gave you 7 and I haven’t even started

***What is your best advice for a beginner?***
1. Don’t compare yourself to everyone else. Use them as inspiration yes and aspire to be as good one day but don’t be harsh on yourself.
2. Have someone that you respect to be honest with their opinion when you ask how does this look . Honest criticism or advice is what makes you grow as an artist. If we all ways receive false praise how do we honestly grow and learn.
3. If you have nothing nice to say don't say it on someone’s business page. And think beyond how the cake looks, even if the design is not your thing, look at the talent and work gone into creating it. 




***What is your favorite cake/filling flavors?***
Jaffa mud cake, orange and lemon curd filling covered with chocolate ganache

***Tell us one “Fun Fact” about yourself***
I’m a ditz and I have an appalling memory. I mean seriously bad like I forget where I park my car at the school every day when I go pick her up or drop my daughter off.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Thank you Robin! It was a pleasure learning more about you!!!

Don’t forget to check out Robin’s video tutorials (some free ones too!)https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpH_QJw4YqR6GkAmfrHUt7g

1 comment:

  1. This Sugar Artist Spotlight is such a great idea. That watering can cake looks so realistic.

    ReplyDelete