Friday, January 6, 2012

Guest Post: Angelyn from EveryDay Desserts!

Recently I found a new baking blog that left me drooling on my keyboard.  The sugary goodness found on this blog look and sound AMAZING!  Run, don't walk over to EveryDay Desserts and show some love.  I promise you won't be dissapointed!  Angelyn is an up and coming baker...she is only 16 years old, but boy does she know her way around the kitchen!  She's also new to the world of blogging.  I've asked her to stop by to share a recipe with ya'll.  Without further ado....meet Angelyn....

~~~~~***~~~~~

Hi everyone! My name is Angelyn and I blog over at EveryDay Desserts. Loren has graciously allowed me to guest blog for her and I'm super excited to do it! She is awesome, isn't she? :) She's fabulous at decorating, so my cookies definitely won't top her's in the 'looks' department, but they are yummy! I hope you enjoy my post, and of course, the cookies!
Anytime I made a dessert (which is basically everyday), I have a ton of taste-testers. I'm one of 8 kids and there are always a lot of friends over at our house. So, there is always someone willing to taste something for me. My sister is a little bit harder to please than all the other kids, though. She doesn't like chocolate. Yeah, I think there's something wrong with her. Just kidding, but it never ceases to amaze me that she doesn't like chocolate. I mean, how can that be possible!? But, she actually liked these cookies! In fact, she said they were delicious. That's how you know that they are awesome! :)


I bake all the time and cookies are one of my very favorite things to make, but I have never made thumbprint cookies. I figured that they'd be somewhat difficult to make, but they were actually super easy! The cookie dough wasn't very chocolate-y by its self, but the melted chocolate that was added gave it the right amount of sweetness. The cookies are supposed to be rolled in nuts before baking, but I rolled in them in crushed pretzels because I don't like nuts in desserts. I know, that sounds a little odd, but it was actually delicious! It makes the cookies very sweet 'n' salty, which I love! And I love adding pretzels to desserts, it adds such interesting texture and flavor. I also made a few without pretzels:



Chocolate Thumbprint Cookies (Source: Serious Eats)
  • 2 cups all purpose flour
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup salted butter, softened
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/3 cup packed dark brown sugar
  • 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2 egg yolks
  • 2 egg whites
  • 3 cups finely chopped pecans or chopped pretzels
  • 8 ounces semi sweet chocolate, melted
  • 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
In a small bowl, combine flour and salt. Set aside. In a large bowl, cream butter, sugar and brown sugar. Add melted chocolate and vanilla, mix till combined. Scrape down bowl. Add egg yolks and mix. Add flour mixture and mix till combined. Remove dough from bowl onto a large piece of clear film. Wrap and form into a disc. Refrigerate for 2 hours or firm enough to roll into balls.

Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 2 sheet pans with silpat or grease pans. In a small bowl, add egg whites and whisk lightly with a fork to lighten. Place nuts or pretzels in a separate small bowl. Roll dough into small balls the size of marbles. Dip the dough balls into the egg white to coat. Roll each ball in chopped pecans or pretzels. Place balls onto prepared cookie sheets 1 1/2 inch apart and push down the center of each ball with your thumb. If you have long nails, use the end of a wooden dowel.

Bake for 10 minutes, remove pans from the oven, and press down the centers again, using a dowel or the back of a teaspoon. Bake for 10 minutes more. While cookies cool, melt chocolate and oil in a small bowl in the microwave, till just melted. Using a teaspoon, fill cookies, one by one. Place them back onto the sheet pans till chocolate is firm and set. The chocolate will take a couple of hours to set, if you are in a hurry, refrigerate them. YIELD: 3-1/2 dozen


Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. I too know someone who doesn't like chocolate and I'm actually kind of jealous because I think I like it waaaay too much, meaning I eat way too much of it.
    These sound delicous, I love addition of pretzles, they make everything with chocolate taste even better.
    Nice to meet you Angelyn!

    ReplyDelete