Monday, November 1, 2010

Kaleidoscope Cake Tutorial!

In case you missed it, a few months ago my tutorial for this "kaleidoscope cake" was featured on a popular blog called "Cake Mom".


I've been asked many times how I made this cake. The cool "kaleidoscope" effect is pretty trippy, right? Are you having a flashback to the groovy era of the 1960's?



It's a pretty simple technique that is sure to impress.



1) Make a white cake batter...box or from scratch...doesn't matter.



2) Divide the batter evenly into 6 bowls.



3) Color each of the bowls of batter a different color of the rainbow using gel paste....I used Wilton Gel Paste in red, orange, yellow, green, blue and purple. (You could use just red and green for Christmas or pink and red for Valentine's Day, or your school colors, or pastel blue for a boy baby shower, etc.)



4) Pour the red batter in center of your pan (don't spread it with your spatula). Just let it ooze and settle. Pour the orange batter on top of the red batter and again, don't touch it with your spatula- just let it spread on it's own. Pour the yellow batter on top of the orange batter and so on....



5) Bake!



For a cool arched rainbow effect, use a round pan and when dividing your batter, use the most batter for the red, a little less for the orange, a little less of the yellow and so on. Pour the colors on top of each other (like above #4) in the pan so that it looks like a bullseye. When you slice the cake after it's baked, each slice will look like a rainbow!

Enjoy!

6 comments:

  1. Love it. Great idea. I will def. try and I'll keep you posted on my out come. Thx for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such an adorable idea!! I have made cupcakes like this before and called them "tie-dye cupcakes" The kids loved them. I love your blog and am definitely going to become a follower!

    You should stop by my blog and enter to win some FREE CUPCAKES!

    Can't wait to read more - keep up the great blogging xo


    Have a great day!

    Stay Calm, Have a Cupcake
    www.fontgirl.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think fontgirl may have answered my question...would this technique work for cupcakes? i'm planning my sons 1st birthday with a 'primary color' theme so thought these could be great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't tried kaleidoscope cupcakes, but in theory it should work. Let us know how it turns out! Good luck and Happy Birthday to your little man! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Squeal!!!!!!!!!!! This is AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete