Friday, May 14, 2010

Ryan's 4th Birthday Cake: Thomas Train!

Ryan requested another Thomas Train themed birthday...no surprise.
I made this cake once before for a friend's son but it was a night time winter scene, with a midnight blue background and snow drifts.
This one I had to make for springtime....lots more colorful and fun!
It is what I call a "Kaleidoscope Cake" with Buttercream Frosting and Fondant Train Track.
What is a "kaleidoscope cake"? Stay tuned for pictures of the inside of the cake....... :o)

4 comments:

  1. very beautiful cake, my son likes tomas train, I can have your buttercream recipe thank you if possible and this is my e mail address
    soniaf66@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loren!!!!

    THIS IS AMAZING!!!!

    You cake Diva, you!! :)

    Adding you to my blogroll too!!

    Thanks for linking up to my party!!

    Hugs,
    Bird

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks amazing and would be perfect for my son's 4th birthday. Do you have any tips for shaping the 4? Was that made out of a 13x9 cake or a larger one? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Becky,
    I carved the 4 from an 11x15 cake. I freehanded it but you could make a paper template. Also, freeze the cake (or at least refrigerate) before carving...easier to carve and less crumby mess... Good luck!

    ReplyDelete