Saturday, January 16, 2010

Back to School...

I haven't stepped foot in a high school in 22 years so it was definitely a bit strange when walking though the halls of Smithtown High School West earlier this week. The memories immediately came back to me as I entered the main doors. It had that same, strange smell...a combination of cafeteria food, books and teenagers.

I was asked to demonstrate cake decorating to a home economics class or as it is now known- "Family and Consumer Science". The class had approximately twenty 11th graders - half girls and to my surprise half boys. I showed them the basics - how to level, fill, ice and decorate a two layer cake and then I made some flowers on a few cupcakes that were sure to impress. The highlight was asking two of the boys to try their hand at making a few little pink swirls on top of the cake. I think they had fun and maybe even learned something. Here is the finished product!

No comments:

Post a Comment